REVIEW: IF I'M BEING HONEST EP

Artist: Kelvin Sings || EP: If I'm Being Honest || #. of Tracks: 4

Released: 23 November 2018 || Label: Letswai Music || Genre: Gospel RnB
Reviewer: Robin Pemba



If I'm being honest, Kelvin Sings' IF I'M BEING HONEST EP has challenged a lot of music pundits in the country that there's no  way we can talk about Malawian RnB without mentioning Kelvin Sings. The EP is rich in style, content and quality. It's arguably one of the finest solo projects to have come out in this final quarter of 2018. 

Produced by Dumisani 'Blage' Moyo, the EP comprises four tracks; Mantha, Kumwamba, Vuto Siine and Za Iyeyo.

Forget about what you read elsewhere that Kelvin Sings is struggling with identity issues in as far as his music career is concerned. IF I'M BEING HONEST EP is one of a kind. It's that kind of a project which will leave you hankering for more... that kind of a project which will silence those (few haters) so that they put a stop to citing him in the bracket of copy cats.

In Mantha Kelvin Sings shares (what I deem to be) what influenced his switch from being an artist who was suffering from identity crisis to an artist who is now able to acknowledge that greater is he who lives in him than he who is in the world. He reflects upon the word of God and quickly sees the need to abandon his equivocal ways. The chorus in this song is weaved around Psalms 23:4 which says "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'll fear no evil."

Kumwamba, which has already become my favourite, is another masterpiece from IF I'M BEING HONEST project. The song is imbued with praise for God. 

Kelvin describes God as  incomparable and one with so much love. He describes Him as the only one to be reverred for He created all things --- the only one with the ability to sustain our lives.

IF I'M BEING HONEST is a must-listen EP for so many reasons and Vuto Siine (the third track on this EP) is one of them. Vuto Siine has an addictive chorus. Kelvin seems to have grown really fast. He is so patient on this one, and that makes the song easy to connect with. I am not trying to sound funny but the 'pasada' feel in Vuto Siine will give you goose bumps. The song has the potential to relax your mind as you try to reflect on what God has done in your life. His plans are always the best than the plans you have for yourself.

The concept behind Za Iyeyo will dazzle you and leave you asking yourself; what was Kelvin Sings thinking about when he was crafting this song? At the first listen, you will think he is talking about a woman. You will think it's one of those romantic songs from the 2016 E-Wallet winner. Kelvin gets so creative on this one. He paints a picture of JESUS CHRIST as a woman he is head over heels in love with. 

Ndakumana naye chiphadzuwa//
(I have met an extremely beautiful woman)/
Kukongola kwake ngati ngelo//
(As beautiful as an angel)/
Mayendedwe ake achiyero//
(Her walk is in righteousness)

He sings.


Dear reader, you will thank me I recommended this EP to you.

Stream and Download
IF I'M BEING HONEST EP by Kelvin Sings here.




Visit our facebook page for more.